CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 9, 2009

New Beginnings

I was just checking in on a few blogs and Sean's cousin Jenny made tissue paper flowers for her niece's wedding shower. It reminded me that I forgot to post these pictures. I work with the Young Women (ages12-17) in my church and back in March we had our annual New Beginnings. It teaches the YW and their parents about the purposes of the YW organization and welcomes the new 12 year old girls to the program. We chose a garden theme this year and I was in charge of the decorations. With the help of the other YW leaders we pulled off and elegant garden party and held it in the Primary room.
We had the YW make all of these tissue paper flowers at a Wednesday night activity. The Young Women have a theme with 8 values and each value has a color.
Faith=white, Divine Nature=blue, Individual Worth=red, Knowledge=green, Choice and Accountability=orange, Good Works=yellow, Integrity=purple, and Virtue=gold. All of the colors are represented throughout the decorations. I found a lot of the loose flowers that we sprinkled on top of the draping tulle at haloheaven.com for really reasonable prices. It is such a fun website, especially if you have little girls! The big vase of flowers represented each young woman. Our YW President had each parent fill out a form of what flower their daughter would be and explain how they fit into the Lord's garden. I made this little fence for 1 dollar! Home Depot has big paint sticks for free and the long pieces of wood I found in their cull cart for .5o cents each. I simply nailed it together and painted it white. During the program I assigned 8 girls a value. They read the scripture and description of each value from little garden signs I made. Then they placed the value sign in the same color plant/flower after reading it.

This was just the back table. I saved a lot of Daisy's baby food jars and put in battery tea lights. They were all over the room and gave it a nice glow.

I didn't get a picture of the cake but it was so cute! A chocolate cake in the center covered with Hershey kisses and Twinkies all around it made a sunflower! All in all I hope it was a memorable night for the girls. I sure had fun decorating for it!

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

That looks AMAZING!!!!! Wow you are talented!

Rochel said...

Great job Brennna! You did an amazing job with the decorations! I remember your house the week before....flowers, picket fences all together it was totally beautiful! Great job!!

JENNY said...

Brenna... you are my soul mate. Only we get lost at the rock climbing and belly dancing... hehehe..

that is beautiful!!!! seriously, young women don't forget those kinds of things... at least i sure haven't. that looks and sounds amazing.. be sure to journal it for my future use... thanks:)