CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 25, 2009

REST AND RELAXATION

Wednesday, May 13, we had a few hours before taking our friends to the airport and so we went to a huge Botanical Garden. Did you know that almost 90% of the plant species on Kauai today are not indigenous to the island? That is crazy to me! Despite the invasive and introduced flora this place was gorgeous and we were the only ones there. I guess tourist's mostly go for the Luau's that are held there and not the actual garden tour.



Check Spelling
Spider Lilies, Peacocks everywhere, and the tropical icon, the Hibiscus.

Kissing Dum Dum.




Heliconia and fresh pigs for the Luau. I don't know about you but seeing my food alive, right before I am going to eat it is NOT my cup of tea!


Gum Tree, Plumeria (they smell sooo good), and pineapple, of course!


Last shot of the 4 of us. We took Bert and Jenny to the airport after getting a shave ice (forgot to get a pic of that one Seth). Upon going to the car rental place to put the car in our name, we were informed that unless Bert were there to confirm his name be changed, Sean was driving illegally and would be charged with auto theft. So, we sped back to the airport to pick up Bert before he flew away and Sean went to prison for the rest of our vacation. We contacted Bert and were able to pick him up and make the proper transfer without him missing his flight.


After our exciting little side adventure, Sean and I went to check out some waterfalls. This one is called O'Paekaa Falls.


Across the street from O'Paekaa Falls was this view of the Wailua River.


Then on to Wailua Falls. They were featured on the old TV show Fantasy Island. The government maps list the height of the falls at 80 ft. but according to our Kauai guidebook they hand measured with fishing line a whole 173 ft. high. Quite the discrepancy! Next time we go to Kauai, because there WILL be a next time, I want to hike down to the pool and snorkel with the small-mouth bass and large shrimp. (I wonder how that food chain works?)

We, I mean, I did a little shopping and then of course another mouth-watering shave ice.


After the falls, we headed back to the condo for some R&R. Later we found a local farmer's market and I coveted the tropical flowers that these people could buy anytime they wanted. I did not however, covet the $6 and $7 pineapples. Maybe they knew we were tourist's and quoted us a higher price or maybe the locals actually pay that for an in-season-all-year fruit. Either way, I will stick with my $3 Costco deal!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

I LOVE that picture of you guys on the lawnchairs. Did you do that on self timer? You need to frame that one!

Steph said...

Oh Brenna, it looks like you are so relaxed...the both of ya! I'm sure this trip couldn't have come at a better time. Little did you know, when you actually planned it! I'm so happy for you! Hawaii is MORE than therapeutic! You look SO great...I am working on getting YOUR body.