Thursday, May 14, we met at Fathom Five Dive shop in Poipu, tried on our gear, and then met our boat at the harbor.


Here I am on our way out to the first dive sight, Sheraton Caverns.

Surprise, more turtles.

Here is Sean exiting one of the caves. This place was remarkable! The caverns were very extensive and sea turtles littered the crevices. On one instance, our guide, who had a writing tablet, huddled under a ledge with 3 of the other divers. He had written MALE on his tablet and I thought what the heck is Maleh
(pronouncing in Hawaiian) all I saw was the hind side of a HUGE turtle.
We got back on the boat and I asked Sean what Maleh was, M-A-L-E? Sean couldn't stop laughing, all it was, was a boy turtle! To my defense our guide had been using a lot of Hawaiian words to identify fish. OK?

During our surface interval we saw bottle nose dolphins porpoising by our boat and then spinner dolphin's in the distance actually spinning out of the water. Very cool!
For our second dive we went to a spot called Fast Lane. We saw a lot of fun critters. Here are a few.

This is black coral that is supposedly pretty rare.

Arc-eye Hawk fish perched in cauliflower coral.

A White spotted Toby (in the puffer family). They have beautiful bright green eyes that my underwater camera did not pick up at 80 ft. below.

A Porcupine Fish, AKA blow fish, this guy was at least a foot and a half long. All the fish in the puffer family are so cute to me.

Our boat dive's were done by noon and so we went to explore more beaches. We found this one called Gillian Beach off of some dirt roads and a little hiking.

The cliffs were eroding away by the wave action leaving these cool, scary cliffs.

We set the timer for this shot and missed the huge cave to the right of the photo. Genius's.

After hiking around it was time for what else...another shave ice. This place is owned by Puka Dogs where the most unique and yummy hot dogs are made. Our friends Mark and Rochel recommended it to us and it was definitely worth it
(hot dogs AND the shave ice)!

We then enjoyed the scenery at the Grand Hyatt again. Sean napped on the beach and I used a complimentary coupon for the spa facilities. Can't beat that! Once again, I am sitting here asking myself if Kauai really happened. Daisy is screaming in one ear and Lily begging for more gum in the other, dishes are overflowing the sink and let me tell you shave ice is calling my name. :)
3 comments:
Looks like you guys had the best time ever. Next time you plan on going we wanna go too.
I think everyone wants to go with you, but seriously, we do!!!!! Love the pics, looks like a great time! I love Hawaii!!!! My fav place:) miss you guys!
How fun! Great dive pictures!
Post a Comment