CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 18, 2009

KIDLESS IN KAUAI!

I am looking at these pictures right now thinking, "did that really happen?" It all feels like a dream. Sean and I have been planning for a year to escape to Kauai without the kids and with the help of amazing, patient friends and my fantastic MommaJo we were able to pull it off!

I was expecting to immediately experience feelings of exhilaration and freedom upon leaving, but panic and a few tears came instead on the way to and at the airport. After I got on the plane I was fine and knew my girls would be in good hands. We met up with our friends Bert and Jenny from Utah who left their 4 kids behind to spend 3 days with us (They had already been on Oahu for 4 days).

Upon arriving in Kapa'a, the boy's instantly sought out a golf course while Jenny and I got settled in to our condo.


The view from our terrace.
That night we hit the grocery store and ordered a lovely Mother's Day meal from Pizza Hut/Taco Bell drive through. Our order was going to be a while so they told us to wait around the corner. A long-haired, lanky man came out with some bags and Sean says, "There's our order", so I hop out and yell "Over here!" (I was hungry) Turns out he was just a customer, but he flashed me a smile and a wave and perhaps wondered what I was charging. We were all laughing hysterically and Sean received a huge punch in the arm from yours truly.

The next morning we started our day with what else, fresh pineapple, and POG (Passion-Orange-Guava) juice.

We then headed up Waimea Canyon.

Sean and Bert hit golf balls into the canyon while their wives were on the look out for rangers and police officers. They were just giggling like giddy little school girls.
The grand canyon of the Pacific!

It was breathtaking!
Kauai has chickens EVERYWHERE! From 4,000 ft. up right down to sea level. On even the most secluded beaches we would hear rustling behind us and behold another rooster! It was so funny. The little chickie's were so cute, I took this one for Lily.

Our first of many shave ice's! Complete with Mac nut ice cream in the bottom. D-lish!
Then on to Spouting Horn. The waves would channel through the lava tubes and erupt out this hole.
Awww, a sign of paradise.
While on the southern part of the island, the boys played 18 holes at the Poipu golf course. Jenny and I hung out at shipwreck beach and then decided that we should be able to spend at least the equivalent of what our loving husband's were spending on golf. So, we made an appointment for a massage at the Anara Spa in the Grand Hyatt Hotel. Wow! I was grateful I was so "Spa Savvy" from my Pebble Beach experience! :) One of the coolest parts was the outdoor lava rock shower. I totally want one!

This place was truly unreal!
The guys met up with us and we lounged around until the spa closed. I had one of the yummiest pineapple, teriyaki chicken sandwiches at a joint called Tropical Burger that night. (Probably fresh chicken from the beach). The first full day on the island was chalk full and the best was yet to come!

5 comments:

Jeppson Clan said...

Wow, you truly packed it in. Those pictures are great. Thanks for starting my day out with a chuckle. Miss "over here" call girl.
That spa looks amazing.
Can't wait to see and "hear" more.
I hope Lily's head is doing okay, mom told me about her stitches. She felt SO bad!
Ridge fell out of the grocery cart at target yesterday and smacked his head really good. It was horrible.
And that is the end of my long comment.
Love you sister mine.

Clarissa said...

I've been there, and there, and there!!! Not the spa though.

Really fun reading this and look forward to the next chapter.

What?! I read Jamey's comment and Lily had to get stiches?

Jaime said...

Wow, your trip looks amazing! How fun. I can't imagine what it would be like to leave the kids for that long. I'm sure I'd have totally mixed emotions! What a great time for you and Sean.

Stephanie Snyder said...

How exciting, and beautiful and yummy! I can't wait to see what the rest of your trip looked like.

Steph said...

Oh! I can't wait to go back with NO KIDS! How awesome for you!!!!