CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Welcome Back to Reality!

May 18,2009 Sean and I got back into town about midnight and I peeked in the girls room to see them, it had been a whole week ya know. They were sound asleep and so was my mom next to Lily. At 4:30am both Daisy and Lily were just screaming. My girls don't sleep very good so it was no surprise they were awake. I go in to help my mom who is getting Daisy and she asks "Lily are you OK?" Incoherently, I glance over at Lily and the left side of her blond head is covered in blood...what the heck? That woke me up! "OK, don't panic, don't show her I am scared, it will only freak her out" is going through my mind. My mom said that Lily had rolled off of the bed but she didn't know she had smacked her noggin' on the corner of this...
The despised floor heater. Not only are they unsightly, but a huge hazard!

I scooped her up and went downstairs to assess the damage. It was deep...and the blood kept coming. She did not want to go see a doctor. We just kept saying "we just need to put a special band-aid on it." Mind you it was 4:30 in the morning, so Sean and I, jet-lagged and jittery, headed to the ER.
This is after the ER visit. She was so brave while the doctor and nurses took FOREVER to figure out what to do. Sean is SO great about lightening any dire mood and so he had her giggling. I was pretending to be Dr. Conroy and I said "Hello Miss Lily, can you tell me where it hurts." Lily replies, "Mom, you are not a doctor, you work at the beach!" What? We were all just laughing. I don't know where she came up with that one. Maybe we spend a little too much time down by the water, or maybe it was the smack to the head that was talking. After some numbing ointment the nurse had me hold Lily's arms down while he helped. She didn't even flinch when the doc injected some anesthetic in and all around the wound. I had to turn my head at that point. Thank goodness the nurses had brought in a little TV with Winnie the Pooh playing because Lily was oblivious to the needle going in and out of her skin stitching her up. We didn't have to hold her down at all.

Back home, good as new in Grandma Muffin's arms (Yes, the grand kids call my mom Muffin, a story for another day). Lily wanted to see her stitches in the mirror. As she was studying them she says, "Mom, how did the doctor put these in my head? I told her the truth, "a needle and thread...he sewed you up." With a horrified look on her face she says, "I didn't even feel it!" "Isn't it cool!" I replied. "Thank goodness for medicine!" And that was that. First visit to the ER and hopefully the last!

I am so grateful that:

- Lily waited to do this a few hours AFTER we got home from our trip.

-My mom was there to tend to Daisy while we ventured to the ER.

-The wound is right in Lily's hair line to help hide the scar.

-The ER doc was a skilled stitcher-upper.

-Modern day medicine rocks.


Lily managed to show and tell everyone we know (and don't know) her stitches over the next 7 days. On Memorial Day she went to have removed and was once again very brave.

Suckers and Barbie stickers definitely helped!

8 comments:

JJ said...

Wow. Welcome back to the real world, huh?! We're sorry to hear that happened. I hope Lily is doing better. Too bad you don't live closer - Shea and Lily could have compared scars.

Clarissa Meegan said...

What a welcome home huh? Glad she is okay!

Sarah said...

I'm lovin' the updates! Poor lil Lil. I loved the sea slugs in the last post, I think i'm a huge fan of sea slugs!

Laura said...

what a brave little girl. this kind of stuff scares the crap out of me about being a parent...I don't look forward to our first ER visit

gunnarson said...

Ah man! The hazards in our own homes! Looks like you got a great homecoming gift :) What a brave girl!

Debi said...

OH... poor little Lily! Hope all is going well, miss you!
XOXOXOX Debi :)

Steph said...

Oh Brenna!
Yuck, yuck, yuck!
I am dreading our first trip to the E.R. Every parent's nightmare! Glad everything is all healed now. :)

Harmony said...

What a brave little chica! I KNOW Adisyn wouldn't have done that good! Rory wants to know if Sean's been working out. He said his arms look good. Ha ha.