That is the latest 'green' saying I saw at Target this week. I think it's awesome. Can you believe this "save the planet" kick the world is on right now? In fact Sean is at a green planning and building certification this weekend up in Santa Cruz. Green is so hot right now products are putting it on their labels and advertising green even when they are not officially certified. I think the awareness is fantastic, but a lot of marketers are taking advantage of it. So be careful what you purchase if you think you are being eco-friendly, read the label's closely.

We are approaching our 5 year mark living here in California and I was thinking about the things that make us 'Californians'. I have always been a conservationist...not the tree hugger/save the whales extremist, but trying to live my life in such a way that is not wasteful or harmful to the environment and the little critters that I love so much.
Living in California makes it so convenient to be friendly to the environment. It is common place here to take your own bags to the grocery store. (
Reminds me of a reusable bag I saw that said "Use Me Reuse Me", I thought it was funny)
and donate to and shop at consignment stores.

I occasionally donate to and shop these consignment stores...you can find so many treasure's for cheap and then get a percentage back on your things that sell.

We even have our own recycle bins out in the garage. I think more people would recycle if it was convenient for them. Now if only I could convert and commit to organic food and products. Ya, maybe when they lower those prices. Who know's what will happen in another 5 years. Heck, California even has me driving a Hybrid. I'm not sure what it is but most people here are so cautious about what they eat, and simply reducing, reusing and recycling. I guess that is why it has been easy for us to follow suit. I can't believe we weren't doing these things 6 years ago!

Another thing I love about California is that it is now law to wear an ear piece while talking on the phone in the car. 'Put your phone down and drive' bumper stickers are going to have to be scraped off everywhere. The streets are a little safer these days. These reasons, and of course the ocean, the very reason I encouraged/made Sean apply out here, are why I love living where we do.
However, there is one reason I am not so proud of my state right now. California is facing a serious moral issue. So serious that our church along with so many others are getting involved. Allow me to expound. In 2000, over 61% of Californians voted to reaffirm the traditional definition of marriage as only between a man and a woman. This was defined in the California Family Code. The words were not put into the actual California Constitution and because of this, four activist judges from San Fran were able to overturn the people's vote! There is a new Proposition that will be voted on in November, Proposition 8. It reverses the decision of these judges by restoring the definition of marriage as a man and a woman in the state Constitution.

Sean and I have been volunteering with the Yes on Proposition 8 campaign knocking doors and making phone calls to simply survey peoples opinion's and make them aware of the situation. It is so sad that a lot of people just don't care!
Not only does Prop 8 restore the definition of traditional marriage that the majority of voters already approved, but it also protects our children from being taught in public schools that "same-sex marriage" is the same as traditional marriage. Many people I have talked to think this is an attack on the gay lifestyle. Prop 8 doesn't take away any rights or benefits from them, it simply restores the definition of marriage between a man and a woman.

My bumper sticker representin'
The Family: A Proclamation to the World was issued in 1995 by my church, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It states, "We, the First Presidency and the Council of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, solemnly proclaim that marriage between a man and a woman is ordained of God and that the family is central to the Creator’s plan for the eternal destiny of His children. " If you would like to read on go here
http://www.lds.org/There is truly a sacred nature to the family unit. While death, divorce, or other circumstances may prevent the ideal, the best situation for a child is to be raised by a married mother and father!
Ok, getting off my soap box now. All you Californians get out there in Nov. and vote YES on Prop 8! If you really want to get involved go to
http://protectmarriage.com/
6 comments:
Go Bren! You are so awesome! I am in awe of your awesomeness and attractiveness.
I'd like to pick your brain on how you encouraged/made Sean apply in California. I have a place I'd rather live, too.
You go girl! We are glad you applied here as well, our lives are sun-shinier with you in it!
I am so proud of my little activist, world saving sista! You go girl! I miss you! p.s. damn liberals
Truly enjoyed this post.
I'd be right there with ya knockin' doors to protect the family. Although I could never live in Cali. Too many trendy "go green"ers. You know me, I like places where there's less people than livestock.
So the other day when we went to the beach I saw your bumper sticker on Yes for prop. 8, there was a car right next to you that said Vote no on prop 8. I said "I love Brenna for putting it out there and not being worried about anyone keying her car"
LOL. I love to recycle, I have become obsessed with it living in Cali. And ditto on The jeppson clan comment too!
Post a Comment